After Pushkaram, we decided to go to Courtallam .
Courtallam has nine waterfalls.
Falls in Courtallam –
- Peraruvi (main falls) the biggest falls in Courtallam, is about 60m high. The flow of water is interrupted by the Pongumakadal, a 19m deep crater and comes down with greatly reduced impact, making a bath safe.
- In Chitraruvi (small falls), the flow is thin. Here naturally separate places for men and women are there to bathe.
- At Shenbagadevi falls, the water flows through shenbaga (Michaelia champak) trees. There is also a temple there, dedicated to Shenbagadevi Amman. Shenbagadevi leads to Chitraruvi.
- About 3 km from this is Thenaruvi (honey falls), 40m high and cascading between two large stones. In places where there is no water, one sees big honeycombs. Thenaruvi is very dangerous and it is restricted for public. But it is very common to see people visiting and bathing in Thenaruvi.
- Aintharuvi (five falls) has five separate cascades of water form this waterfalls.
- From the orchard above flows Pazhathotta Aruvi, the ‘VIP falls’. Only VIP’s are allowed in Pazhathotta Aruvi.
- The Pazhaya Courtalla Aruvi (Old Courtallam falls) used to fall into a valley from between two rocks. The valley was closed and the rocks were broken to change the course of water and make bathing easier. It was reopened later.
- The artificial Puli Aruvi (Tiger Falls) has a moderate flow of water which collects in a lake and is diverted for irrigation, sometimes tigers visit this place for water.
- There is another small falls inside the Government Horticulture Park above Five Falls, but it is off-limits to the public.
The three major waterfalls reachable by road are the Main Falls, Five Falls, and Old Courtallam Falls. Other waterfalls like Shenbaga Devi Falls and Honey Falls are reachable only by trekking on the mountain.
P.S. Details referenced from Wiki
We thought Main falls will be crowded and decided to go to Old Courtallam falls in the afternoon. The route was very scenic and I liked the hill backdrop, so I told my parents that why not we vacate the room in Tenkasi and try out a resort in Courtallam, they agreed and went to enjoy our first waterfalls.
Main, Old, Five and Chitraruvi waterfalls in Courtallam has separate places for Men and Women .
Various Views of Old Courtallam Falls –
To be Continued ………
Please feel free to share your Views / like & leave your comments on this blog in the comments section
©mytravelcsp . All rights reserved.